Staff Attorney - Utilities Advocacy
Housing Law Program | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Full Time Staff Attorney
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a nonprofit law firm providing free, quality civil legal services to low income/low opportunity clients, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work on a new service for LSEM's clients, utilities advocacy. This position will temporarily be working remotely, due to Covid-19.
The Staff Attorney will work with low-income households and individuals living in the St. Louis metropolitan area, as well as on system-wide advocacy. While placed in LSEM’s Housing Program, the position will also work holistically with LSEM social workers to provide help on individual cases, collaborate with a new LSEM Utilities Workgroup to help structure and administer this program, and will provide systemic advocacy in work with the Public Service Commission and other entities. The Attorney will provide community education and training for potential clients, and for social service and health care providers about utilities issues, and collaborate with others working on utilities advocacy.
- Conducting client interviews, investigation, fact gathering and resolution of cases for individuals with utilities problems, collaborating with a social worker where feasible.
- Representing clients in administrative proceedings.
- Systemically advocating for rights of low-income households to maintain utilities through programs such as monetary assistance and/or forgiveness of past utilities bills, deferred payment plans, percentage-based account credit plans, non-reporting to creditors, though work with the Public Service Commission (administrative proceedings for individuals and rate cases), Utilities and other entities.
- Conducting legal research and analysis
- Conducting community outreach and presentations
- Working collaboratively with community partners re utilities issues
- Supervising law student interns
- Drafting grant reports
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- At least 2 years of experience as a practicing attorney preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law work or to legal services for persons living with low-income strongly preferred
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills. Experience with regulatory and/or utilities matters-- a plus.
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with case management software preferred
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling the legal aid mission
How to Apply:
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, and flexible spending account.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.