Senior Strategic Designer
Programs | Brooklyn, NY | Full Time
Reboot works with change agents who care about creating a better future—within governments, foundations, international organizations, media, and civil society groups.
Reboot blends methods from human-centered design and other disciplines, often applying them in new ways to public sector challenges. Our work spans a wide range of issues including public health in Nigeria, criminal justice reform in New York City, refugee services in Turkey, open government around the world, and many more.
We are seeking a Senior Strategic Designer to bring their passion and ideas to advance Reboot’s projects and programs. You are fluent in both human-centered design and public sector innovation. You bring a diverse toolkit of design skills that can be applied across the sectors where Reboot works, including open government, media development, criminal justice, and civic participation. You think visually and can translate research and ideas into compelling frameworks and products. You are equally comfortable meeting government officials in the capital or working with residents on the street. You are enterprising and have the chops to become a star all on your own, but you value being part of a multidisciplinary team.
This is a full-time, permanent staff position based in our New York office, with the expectation of significant travel during project periods. We're anticipating a start date or mid to late Summer 2019.
Project work (80%)
- Lead system and service design concepting through rapid prototyping (including wireframe development), intensive user-testing, and collaborative review processes;
- Execute design research to understand user, stakeholder, and client needs. Lead cross-disciplinary, multinational teams in synthesizing insights and translating into policy recommendations, service designs, or relevant design products;
- Design analytical frameworks such as user personas, user experience journeys, and system maps;
- Liaise with project partners, co-creating with government, civil society organizations, and communities;
- Collaborate with project team, potentially managing subject matter experts and technical contributors;
- Contribute to project planning to ensure that design approaches are well-integrated into broader goals.
Knowledge Management & Process Innovation (10%)
- Develop agile, efficient, and impactful internal processes;
- Integrate lessons from industry standards and client engagements across our work;
- Support frequent knowledge transfer between programmatic team members and across the organization.
Communications and Business Development (10%)
- Build and cultivate partnerships around new opportunities. Educate clients and partners on Reboot’s approach;
- Support our advocacy work by publishing articles and blog posts and speaking at or attending events;
- Develop technical and financial proposals for opportunities that align with your expertise and background.
- Formal training in design, research, ethnography, development, or other related fields.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience;
- Fluency and experience in human-centered design, participatory design, and design strategy for social impact contexts;
- Experience applying a range of design tools, exercises, and methods. Strong proficiency in visual design and Adobe Creative Suite tools required.
- Capability to translate design activities for appropriate contexts, purposes, programs, and audiences;
- Understanding of multiple issues relevant to Reboot's work, such as: international development, open government, media development, institutional innovation, and civic participation;
- International work experience and ability to operate effectively in unfamiliar cultural contexts and poor infrastructure environments preferred;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English. Fluency in additional languages preferred, in particular Spanish, French, and Arabic.
- Comfort with public speaking and workshop facilitation; poised in client communications and project management;
- Ability to work under tight time constraints, multitask with ease, and adjust plans in the face of changing priorities;
- Appreciation of complexity. Comfort with ambiguity. Sense of humor. Fan of cute office pups.
Reboot is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reboot respects and values diversity. We are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination in the recruitment, retention, training, or development of employees on the basis of gender, gender identity or expression, race, national origin, religious belief, political opinion, age, or disability. Diversity of perspective and experience benefits our firm and helps us deliver our best work; we encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Please complete the application through the link below. Include your CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Reboot and this role. If you have a portfolio or work samples, please provide a link in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be considered.
We encourage interested applicants should apply as soon as possible.