Senior Software Engineer - NLP
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Gro Intelligence is building the world's largest agricultural data platform, allowing anyone to discover, analyze and predict everything that's happening in global agricultural markets. We are a fast-growing, mission-driven data and analytics company creating a more connected and productive global agricultural industry. Our diverse team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals share a passion for building software that impacts everyone in the world on a most basic level.
Gro allows users to make better decisions by quickly understanding and predicting factors that affect the availability and prices of agricultural products. We do this by standardizing huge volumes of structured and unstructured data, and transforming it into actionable knowledge for large corporate agribusinesses, financial institutions, consulting firms, and nonprofit organizations.
With offices in both New York and Nairobi, and the financial backing of prominent investors including TPG Growth and Data Collective, we are rapidly building out our team of highly motivated, intellectually curious people. Successful candidates have versatile talents and are excited to work in a fast-paced, demanding, and constantly evolving entrepreneurial environment.
Gro is building a unique data platform by integrating, processing and mining millions of datasets. As a Senior Software Engineer - NLP, you contribute to shape this platform, scale it to an unprecedented number of datasets and extract critical information from them using NLP techniques.
- Work with our international experts to develop new and scalable NLP algorithms to extract structured data from existing and new datasets
- Build these algorithms into tools and libraries to help our analysts integrate new datasets in our platform
- Are responsible for part of the data processing pipeline
- Deal with international, multi-languages datasets
- Participate to the architecture roadmap and identify new opportunities
Who you are:
- You have extensive experience in building and implementing NLP systems (python is a plus)
- You have built and deployed services at scale, used distributed storage and parallel computing
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- You like to experiment and play with data to identify new opportunities
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code
- You have a point of view but have low ego and is a great team player
- You like to mentor junior members and help them grow
- Technical leadership experience
- PhD or Master’s Degree in NLP or Computational Linguistics.
- 10+ years software engineering experience
- Familiarity with statistical modeling tools (R, MatLab)
- Understanding of relational databases and distributed databases (e.g. Postgres, Cassandra, Bigtable)
- Basic knowledge of Node.js
- Graduate degree / Research experience
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.