Senior Quantitative Scientist
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Gro Intelligence is building the world's largest agricultural data platform, allowing anyone to discover, analyze and predict everything that's happening in global agricultural markets. We are a fast-growing, mission-driven data and analytics company creating a more connected and productive global agricultural industry. Our diverse team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals share a passion for building software that impacts everyone in the world on a most basic level.
Gro allows users to make better decisions by quickly understanding and predicting factors that affect the availability and prices of agricultural products. We do this by standardizing huge volumes of structured and unstructured data, and transforming it into actionable knowledge for large corporate agribusinesses, financial institutions, consulting firms, and nonprofit organizations.
With offices in both New York and Nairobi, and the financial backing of prominent investors including TPG Growth and Data Collective, we are rapidly building out our team of highly motivated, intellectually curious people. Successful candidates have versatile talents and are excited to work in a fast-paced, demanding, and constantly evolving entrepreneurial environment. We are hiring a Senior Quantitative Scientist to join our office in New York City.
Cross-functional role, working with engineering, product, geospatial teams; but also research analysts and biz dev teams. Expectation of leadership and management.
- Quantitative insights - automated analysis & “emergent” agricultural insights/alerts
- Current “Gro insights” are thematic written pieces where content is supported by Gro data. Quantitative insights would be the reverse, data driven and emergent, supported by content. Working with Research Analysts and Geospatial Analysts.
- Next Gen Data Quality Czar
- Gro has basic infrastructure to evaluate coverage and detect some classes of obvious errors. Working with Software Engineers.
- Gro Modeling Eval / Experimental Framework
- Gro makes ML-based forecast models for e.g. agricultural yields of different crops in different regions, drought indexes. Develop a robust framework to evaluate quality of models and predictions.
- Advanced Gro Derived data series
- “Gro Derived” are new data series we create in the product from combinations of data from different sources. For example, combining demographic and food production data to have more actionable data series; or geospatially weighted environmental data, like rainfall average for areas covered by specific crops. Beyond the basic temporal and geospatial combinations, create Gro Derived series based on more advanced stats. Working with Software Engineers.
- Special research projects
- Technical leadership experience
- Very strong understanding of statistics and mathematics
- Strong computer science fundamentals (data structures and algorithms)
- Very proficient in at least one of: Python, Java, C++, R
- Experience with large scale systems, parallel computing, distributed storage
- Bachelor's level degree in computer science, engineering, math or related field
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with statistical modeling tools (R, MatLab)
- Experience with natural language processing (NLP)
- Experience using RESTful APIs
- Graduate degree / Research experience
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.