VIDEO: writing fellow, science
Editorial | New York, NY | Internship
Business Insider is hiring a paid editorial fellow to write video scripts about science.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and leave ready for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Fellows on our science team spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, pitching and writing scripts for videos on topics including outer space , the animal kingdom, and the human body. They have the opportunity to contribute to videos like Why Wisdom Teeth Suck and Why We Eat Oysters Alive. Video-writing fellows work closely with video editors, but they do not need to have video-editing experience. We’re looking for ambitious reporters who can find and chase great stories and relay them to our audience in a compelling way.
All our video-writing fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are okay)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the science team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- An interest in covering space, physics, biology, physiology, nutrition, fitness, and more
- An interest in explaining trendy diets and products through the lens of science
- Preferably, previous experience with science writing, script-writing, and/or video production
This is a paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in March or June.
Created for the digital generation, Business Insider is the largest business news site in the U.S. and one of the fastest-growing news brands in the world. We embrace the themes of positive change and innovation and use fast, fun, and informative storytelling to cover the business, tech, and finance news stories you need to know to work, play and live better.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our video-writing fellow for science. Indicate whether you would be able to start in March or in June. Applications are due March 1.