INSIDER editorial fellow, news (LA)
Editorial | Los Angeles, CA | Internship
INSIDER is hiring a paid editorial fellow to write about the news from our Los Angeles office.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Fellows on our news team cover the news as it happens, writing stories in the unique INSIDER style. They spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching and producing features — even breaking news if the timing is right.
All our editorial fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the news team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- An interest in covering general domestic and global news
- Prepared to call/email sources when reporting a story, with guidance from the editors
- A demonstrated understanding of fact-checking and objective news writing
- A natural curiosity about what’s happening in our own backyard and around the world
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our Los Angeles office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in March or June.
INSIDER is great journalism about what passionate people actually want to know. That’s everything from news to food, celebrity to science, politics to sports and all the rest. It’s smart. It’s fearless. It’s fun. We push the boundaries of digital storytelling. Our mission is to inform and inspire.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our news fellow. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them. Indicate whether you would be able to start in March or in June. Applications are due March 1.