Business Insider editorial fellow, retail and transportation
Editorial | New York, NY | Internship
Business Insider is hiring a paid editorial fellow to write about consumer topics for our retail and transportation teams. We are especially interested in candidates with photography skills and experience telling visual stories.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Fellows on our retail and transportation team write about topics like cars, planes, shopping, and the companies that want to sell you things, in the unique Business Insider style. They spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching and producing features — even breaking news if the timing is right. They have the opportunity to contribute to stories like:
- Take a rare look inside 8 of the most luxurious superyachts for sale at Miami's premier yacht show
- We went to Trader Joe's and the store that Whole Foods launched to compete with it — and it's clear who does it better
- Take a look inside one of the most exclusive racing clubs in the world
- We shopped at TJ Maxx and Kohl's to see which store was better, and the winner was clear for one key reason
All our editorial fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the retail and transportation teams, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- An interest in covering retail and transportation
- A familiarity with the biggest consumer companies
- Basic photography skills
- An eagerness to create photo-driven stories on the topics and companies our readers love
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in March or June.
Created for the digital generation, Business Insider is the largest business news site in the U.S. and one of the fastest-growing news brands in the world. We embrace the themes of positive change and innovation and use fast, fun, and informative storytelling to cover the business, tech, and finance news stories you need to know to work, play and live better.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our retail and transportation fellow. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them. Indicate whether you would be able to start in March or in June. Application is due March 1.