Senior Design Researcher & Strategist
Design | Seattle, WA | Full Time
At Artefact, Design is our mindset and methodology for building a more equitable and sustainable world. With full-service capabilities, our teams help transform our client’s toughest challenges into product and systems solutions that not only help them face the future – it redefines it for the better.
Our insights and strategy team are the foundation and backbone of Artefact’s process and are comprised of experts from multiple research and strategy backgrounds. Through a mix of curiosity, compassion, empathy and rigor, they help our clients and internal teams understand what the true opportunities for transformation are and help frame those in inspiring and engaging ways. Working from a common foundation of human-centered design, they help clients define outcomes, generate new knowledge and insights, understand complex issues, identify opportunities, and create near-term and future solutions.
We are currently seeking research-oriented practitioners experienced in both generative and evaluative research methods, with an emphasis on design research and ethnography. We want to work with people that seek to understand why things are the way they are, and who have the vision to see the potential around what they could be. Gathering insights & reporting stats are only part of the equation. We are looking for people that consider themselves to be educators, mentors and trusted advisors; smart and detailed thinkers that enjoy navigating complex subject matter; and leading people in bold and illuminating ways towards the right pathways forward.
- Design, plan, and lead generative and evaluative research activities across a wide range of mixed methods (design research, ethnography, SME interviews, stakeholder interviews, participatory design, concept value testing, etc.).
- Conduct secondary research, including trends analysis and other forms of domain research, to rapidly develop an understanding of complex topics, and be able to reflect that understanding to both clients and team members.
- Synthesize research insights, identify insights and opportunities, create strategic frameworks, and deliver findings as part of a compelling narrative.
- Design and facilitate workshops with clients, stakeholders, and communities related to programs.
- Work collaboratively with design teams to develop innovative solutions and ensure that the design work aligns with research findings.
- 3-10 years’ experience as a design researcher, ethnographer, or equivalent; level commensurate with experience.
- Portfolio of relevant case studies and documented impact.
- Solid foundation in both quantitative and qualitative methods. Expert synthesis and sensemaking skills.
- Background in cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, anthropology, sociology and an interest in using that to influence behavior / experiences in actionable ways.
- Speciality skill sets like (not limited to) digital ethnography, behavior change, social listening, affective computing, are very interesting to us.
- Exceptional facilitation, communication, and storytelling skills. A trusted advisor who can inspire and lead others through various research methodologies and approaches to gain alignment.
- Experience working as part of a multi-disciplinary team in a product design and/or innovation environment.
- Customer focused, self-managing problem solver, accountable and able to thrive in autonomous environments
- Creative and flexible under changing settings, courage to be heard, sense of humor, passionate about responsible design and technology, life-long learner
We are a proud Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Artefact is a strategy + design firm. We help organizations address complex challenges, create new forms of value, and shape responsible futures. Together, we make new products, services, tools, and systems that use technology to do good.