Contract Design Researcher
Research and Strategy | Seattle, WA | Contract
NOTE: At Artefact, we are always interested in connecting with talented people. We may not have a specific role open today, but that might change tomorrow. If you are interested in Artefact and are currently available and looking for freelance work, then you are in the right place. Below is a description of what we are usually looking for when we do start hiring for Contract Design Researchers. Apply to let us know you exist and we will keep you in mind as needs arise.
We are seeking a Design Researcher to help us gather and translate insights into design opportunities. A passion for the human perspective combined with innovative and rigorous research methods is required. Our fast-paced environment demands flexibility, as the researcher is often asked to strike a balance between academic rigor and design intuitions in ambiguous situations, moving quickly across all stages of research to ultimately inform project direction and discover new opportunities for users and clients. This is a dynamic and highly collaborative role that requires an enduring curiosity to understand human behavior, creativity, and a drive for delivering elegant solutions to our clients.
- Plan, design, and conduct generative user and product research using techniques such as rapid ethnography, interviewing, participatory design, and concept value testing.
- Work with multi-disciplinary team members and clients throughout projects, including both research and design.
- Take deep research insights and turn them into design inspiration and product strategy.
- Evaluate the value of design concepts. Apply rapid, iterative evaluation techniques to optimize concepts for the best possible use experience.
- Work collaboratively with designers to develop innovative solutions to a wide variety of design opportunities.
- Compile and craft deep thought leadership reports and presentations that help establish a strong POV in particular domains.
- 3+ years’ experience in relevant industry as a user researcher, design researcher, scenario planner, or product planner.
- Compelling communication and storytelling skills.
- MS in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Anthropology, or related discipline a big plus.
- Solid foundation in research-based design using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Proven track record working on complex projects that involve multiple methodologies and forms of research output.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Artefact is a strategy + design firm. We help organizations address complex challenges, create new forms of value, and shape responsible futures. Together, we make new products, services, tools, and systems that use technology to do good.